Tuesday, May 19, 2020

"Saccharine Horrors"


"This could be considered the spiritual successor to "Unwitting Symbiosis", I suppose. That was made, what, two years ago?! Good lord, time flies.

So this is both a sketch that got out of hand and a celebratory drawing that I made because I finished a short story that's essentially about how Yens lost his arm. Shortly before dying. But it doesn't cover that last bit. But if you've wondered why there's a severed arm (and tons of candy imagery), that's why: arm-loss and Sehenness. Arm-loss DUE to Sehenness.

I seem to be at a point where I'm drawing a lot of Blik. I've always gone through phases where I can't get enough of a certain character, and it seems I'm going through one with him, now. So, if you see a lot of him in this 2017 era, that would be why. Anyway, despite how morbid this drawing is, I'm very happy with it. Since a lot of my art normally focuses on shading and being pleasant, I thought it would be fun to flip that entirely and have a drawing that's biggest draw is the line art, and is eye-searingly complicated and bright. and I succeeded, I think! I'm also proud of the fact that the entire drawing is made with different shades of a single color. It was a fun challenge! At first I wasn't quite sure how to color it, trying tons of different colors combinations and reds (since I knew I wanted some sort of red in there) but I eventually decided to go with just the neon reddish-pink, and it all worked out a bit better."

 - 2017 Brennan


And this, along with "Unhealthy Affection", inspired a love for weird, limited color palettes that I still have to this day. It mostly manifests in animatics. But it blazes strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment