Thursday, May 28, 2020

Wild Day

"(This is gonna be fairly autobiographical, so if that’s not your thing, you can just skip this post. But it involves cute animals! Well, ones that I think are cute.)

Today I’ve had probably the coolest day in my life when it comes to animal sightings and occurrences. It started off pretty early in the morning, even! My Dad was driving me, and we were just leaving the neighborhood when:


Wait… Is that….

It is!

IT’S MINI-MORTY! After not seeing him for a month, he pops up again (in camera quality that would make Bigfoot photographers wince). He very politely waited for us to stop before crossing the road in a hurried shuffle and shambling off into the bushes, presumably to find a good spot to sleep for the day. What a cutie!

Moving on: so, for the uninformed, I’m going to be getting a northern blue-tongue skink this year! I’m super excited, since I’ve been researching for over two years now, and I feel up to the challenge of obtaining a brand new scaly friend. (In case you’re at all curious as to what blueys are, imagine a stubby snake with a massive head and tiny little legs that look like they’ve been stuck onto their sausage bodies with glue. Or just Google it, I s’pose.) I’ve been chatting with various breeders for months, and I think I’ve finally found a specific breeder I’ll be buying from, which is sweet! And also super relieving – skinks have been popular pets the last couple years, so they get bought up fast, and they’re pretty hard to come by.

Finally, to close out the day, I was sitting and playing some Skyrim (as I do), when I heard my Dad shout “THERE’S A BAT IN THE BACKYARD!” I booked it over there, and realized that there wasn’t just a bat – there were five of them! I’ve never seen bats this close in action, since they’re pretty uncommon where I live, so seeing one of my all-time favorite animals (ever since I was five!) doing their awesome acrobatics in the air while I got to watch was almost surreal. It was so fantastic! The dog barking kind of ruined it, though. But hey, animals are animals."

 - 2018 Brennan

No comments:

Post a Comment